Where did my view go?

I made a custom mp to do some basic service monitoring. I sealed it, installed it and it worked beautifully. Then I thought it'd be a good idea to make a "Views" mp so I could easily see discovered objects & alerts etc so I made a group and stored it in the Views mp. The group dynamically added custom classes that were from the initial sealed monitoring mp.

My Views mp was unsealed so that I could setup the Dashboard just how I wanted. All was going well and it displayed discovered objects and alerts as I expected. Thinking all was good I sealed the mp and deleted the unsealed one then imported the sealed one and surprise surprise, one of the panes in the dashboard was blank (the other two were fine). These 3 panes in the dashboard target 1 single group that contained three different classes and it was stored in my sealed monitoring mp. I tried recreating the views mp, upping the version etc but every time I imported the final mp I got the same result.

Knowing how much of weird beast SCOM can be I thought, "OK let's put the group that the view targets in the monitoring mp instead, so nothing can get modified". So after moving the group from the views mp to the monitoring mp, redoing views and resealing I imported both mps and bingo all was good. I lost track of what I did so I'm not completely sure what caused/fixed this but there's two lessons in this to keep in mind when authoring.

If you're going to build a custom mp and do heaps of importing to get it right then prefix EVERYTHING (mp name, classes, discoveries, monitors etc) with something like "BetaA". I've seen many weird problems disappear when you rename it (essentially to SCOM it's a new object) When it's all good then rename everything to remove "BetaA", seal and import.

Store groups in the sealed "monitoring" mp and target it from your "Views" mp. Don't put it in the Views mp.

Comments