- Export the Microsoft.SystemCenter.Notifications.Internal mp in the old and new management groups - do not modify these, they are our backup copies
- Make a copy of both files and rename them to something meaningful like Microsoft.SystemCenter.Notifications.Internal.ManagementGroupName_backup.xml
- Make a note of the mp version number of the Microsoft.SystemCenter.Notifications.Internal mp from the new management group. In my case it was 7.2.11719.0
- Open up the Microsoft.SystemCenter.Notifications.Internal.xml file for the old management group and change the version number to that of the new management group mp version + 1. In my case I changed it from 7.0.9538.0 to 7.2.11719.1. This is so the mp imports properly in the new management group
- To disable notifications go through each rule and change Enabled="true" to Enabled="false"
- Import the mp into the new management group
- Test your notifications
The mp imported successfully first time. Then I got this alert:
Name: Unified communication Api libraries are not installed on notification server
Description: Unified communication Api libraries are not found on server ManagementServer. Management group has instant messaging notification channel configured and server ManagementServer is a member of the notification resource pool. Instant messaging notification may fail in case alerts are generated...
This was caused by an Instant Messenger channel that had been setup. Though I have not confirmed it apparantly the resolution is to install UCMA 3.0 Runtime available here: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=20958